Potential benefits of TARGIT - Targeted Intraoperative Radiotherapy
Breast conserving surgery has now become firmly established in the treatment of breast cancer. Intra- operative radiotherapy is a step towards gentler and more focused cancer treatment.
If the control of cancer with Targeted intraoperative radiotherapy is the same as the usual external radiotherapy, it could potentially offer the following benefits:
- reduction of treatment time from 3-6 weeks to a single dose in the operation theatre
- in favorable cases (85% of the time), no further external radiotherapy is necessary
- less delay in the administering of subsequent chemotherapy
- reduced skin exposure to radiation
- maximum tissue protection
- theoretical benefits of accurate and timely delivery of radiotherapy immediately after surgery.